14.3.09

Thirty-six Hours in Hell

True Story of a Captive Family

Lt Col. Elahi Manzoor Chowdhury, Assistant Adjutant General at BDR Headquarters, is among the slain soldiers whose remains have not been identified. His wife Tanni Yafta Chowdhury has been combing the pilkhana and the hospitals for her husband's body. She spoke to her husband at 10.30 AM on the morning of the mutiny. Shortly afterwards, she herself was taken hostage. Tanni Chowdhury spoke to Syed Zain Al-Mahmood of The Daily Star about her horrific nightmare.


Late Lt Col. Elahi Manzoor Chowdhury with his family.

When did you first become aware of the mutiny? Can you describe that morning?
At around 9.15 AM I got a call on my cell phone. It was my husband. "There has been trouble, he said. The jawans are shooting. Close all doors and windows. Don't come out." I was very frightened. By then I could hear gunfire. He called again a few minutes later. "A lot of officers have been killed. I am taking cover in the bathroom." I started to call my relatives and my husband's colleagues. Help is coming, I was told. Every second seemed like an eternity.

Did you hear from him again?
Yes, he called at around 10.30 AM. He said, "They're coming. Amar jonno dua koro. Ar dekha hobe na." Then the connection was lost. My husband was Asst. adjutant general -- he had nothing to do with the jawans. I hoped against hope that they would spare him. But that's was not to be.

Did you try to save him by calling for help?
I tried calling everyone I could think of. I was told that help was on its way. I kept praying for the sound of the army rolling in. But nothing happened. I don't understand why it would take so long for troops to get to the pilkhana from the cantonment? Does it take hours? You tell me?

What happened next?
Around 11.30 there was loud knocking on the door. I didn't want to open up, but they said they would shoot. I opened the door and four jawans came in with rifles at the ready. They pointed their weapons and asked for my husband. I said he was at the office. They took me and my children to the Quarter Guard where we were held with a number of other families.

Please describe how you were treated?
There were clearly two groups. One group had their faces uncovered, and treated us well. They gave us water when we asked for it. The other group came now and then. They covered their faces with red cloth and seemed very violent. They said things like, You've lived in air conditioning all your life. How does this feel?

What happened then?
I lost track of time. It was dark. At one point, the guards suddenly went out. I think it was after midnight. I heard voices. It was the Home Minister Sahara Khatun speaking. I couldn't clearly make out the words, but we were very hopeful. I heard the BDR jawans clapping. Then she asked them to hand in their weapons. "Apnara nij dayitte ostro joma diye den". A few minutes later the guards came back and sat down facing us.

Were you hopeful that you would be rescued?
Very much so. She was right outside. One Bhabi had a 4 month old baby who was crying. Elderly people were coughing. We were sure she could hear us. But she never came in. I later heard she rescued two families from the residential quarters and went away.

When were you finally rescued?
It was in the afternoon of Thursday.

Please tell us your thoughts at this point.
Look, my husband was on three UN missions. Liberia, Kuwait and Ivory Coast. I used to be so afraid for him. But he came back unharmed. His country men did to him what foreign soldiers did not do.

I have only one wish now -- that we should know the truth. His killers should be punished.

No comments:

Post a Comment